Job Title: Civil Construction Engineer
Duration: 5/31/2021 with one option year
Location: Hanford Site
Closing Date: 6/4/2020
The following core tasks, and other specific assignments from Field Execution (Construction Services), include:
Develop Construction Plans – CE’s manage the constructability from planning through construction. They evaluate structural, electrical, and mechanical condition of each project as the work proceeds. CE’s review all drawings and designs before they are implemented. They plan personnel flows and decide how other contractors and subcontractors will support ongoing field execution.
Support Engineering Processes – CE’s are construction subject-matter experts that complete routine tests and inspections to make sure that all project requirements are followed. The CE team is staffed with a variety of skill sets and experience so that the CE’s are able to work together to provide the required resources to accomplish the requirements of each project. When required, the CE will reach back to the Design Authority (DA) and specific design engineers in the organization to validate requirements and objectives for specific projects.
Construction Project Management – CE’s bring specific knowledge to construction projects, such as change management, cost control, cost accounting, and management of project schedules. They track, monitor, and provide performance evaluations, while keeping the field execution on track. When needed, they facilitate discussions and create solutions between construction contractors and construction managers. It is their responsibility to eliminate disagreements in the field and misunderstandings about expected work outcomes working with the Construction Manager. They keep an up-to-date understanding of all contract terms to prevent project delays and actively drive projects to completion.
Draft Technical Support Documents – Keeping up-to-date logs, estimates, change orders, vendor forms, and surveys with different software is a key role of construction engineers. With documentation, they identify and spot technical problems in the construction process. If necessary, making sure that the Subcontractor is securing more materials to keep construction going to meet the planned execution schedule.
Communicate with Team Leadership – Weekly meetings with the Construction Manager and all parties involved in a construction project are common for CE’s. Part of their job is to provide necessary status updates and respond to questions from contractors, clients, and their own company leadership. CE’s will provide project reports on a regular basis to the Construction Manager, providing accurate data on progress, problems, and support required for specific projects.
Support construction management by functioning as a BTR for all assigned scopes of work under the general direction of a Construction Manager. This includes the verification of work, reviewing subcontract progress payment and changes for accuracy and completeness, and review of subcontract submittals, Non-Conformance Report’s (NCR’s) Request for Clarification or Information’s (RCI’s), redlines, Design Change Notice’s (DCN’s) and applicable contract modifications in a timely and accurate manner. Interaction with the assigned contract specialist over the applicable contractual documents is expected.
The CE shall provide technical input for all elements of construction projects and tasks from project planning through construction field execution. Creating, modifying and issuing Statements of Work for construction projects and performing constructability reviews to ensure design media and specifications are vetted and approved by Buyer construction management prior to issuance.
- Perform as a BTR for construction design/bid/build and design/build subcontracts as assigned by supervisor
- Ensure compliance with contract technical requirements
- Prepare Statements of Work for construction and/or design build subcontracts and similar subcontracts
- Monitor subcontracts to ensure scope, cost, schedule and quality are within contract requirements
- Perform technical evaluations of subcontractor bids
- Verify field configuration control and ensure adherence to construction specifications and standards
- Assist in ordering Government Furnished construction materials
- Ensure necessary forms, permits, drawings, and documents are identified or included in the construction work package
- Perform constructability reviews for project design packages, 30%, 60% and 90% in a timely manner in coordination with the project team
- Review and disposition vendor submittals
- Support project planning for assigned projects
- Perform procedure reviews, revisions and rewrites
- Develop Plant Force Work Reviews (PFWR’s) for assigned projects, as required
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management
- Twenty (20) years or more experience in construction and/or project design engineering in a specific discipline
- Demonstrated experience of monitoring subcontractor field progress
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Demonstrated ability to interpret drawings and specifications
- Working knowledge of all phases of construction
- Experience working with Building Trades craft and construction subcontractors
- Demonstrated experience resolving technical claim items.
Civil construction engineers need strong analytical and leadership skills to solve technical engineering challenges while helping manage a construction project. The position requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline (experience and demonstrated competence may be considered in lieu of a formal degree) and the following skill sets:
Construction Management – perform various construction management duties, such as budget management, scheduling, material procurement, and labor planning.
Engineering – Use technical engineering skills based in math and physics to predict future problems and find solutions for them.
Project Management – understanding of the critical path necessary for a project to get done and formulate plans to make it happen. People at all levels look to them for guidance.
Leadership – interpersonal skills are essential to work with the project team and successfully influence the outcomes of construction projects.
Creativity – use of innovation and experience to improve solutions.
Planning Skills – application of scheduling software and interaction with the subcontractor about project progress and milestones is an essential skill for construction engineers to execute their responsibilities well.
Communication Skills – good verbal and written communication skills are important for because they must submit reports and share vital information in a clear, concise manner.
Tools of the Trade
Construction engineers must be experienced using the following tools and equipment in a typical workday:
- Project scheduling software such as MS Projects or Primavera
- MS Excel, Word, Visio and common office productivity software
- Calculator, Excel, and “MathCad” software to accomplish computational tasks
- Operate a motor vehicle on paved and unpaved roads to visit construction sites to perform physical inspections and interaction with construction forces
- Demonstrated experience executing “EPC” construction projects
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer (PE)
- Capability with AutoCad, SAP, Risa-3D or similar software
- Experience in Design/Build EPC projects
- Experience in Department of Energy site operations or projects
- Experience organizing and chairing meetings with diverse parties
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing the technical elements of subcontractor to include, but not limited to: pay item schedules, progress payments, percent complete and certified payrolls
- Certification as PMI Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Demonstrated technical proficiency working with multidiscipline construction contracts and subcontractors
All candidates are subject to a criminal background check, reference checks, and drug screening as required by the client.
Benefits available and excellent wage – DOQ
Candidates meeting the required qualifications should submit their resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration. References are optional but appreciated.